Accounting Certifications & Licenses

Several students have inquired as to what different accounting licenses and certifications are available and what they can do for you professionally.  There are several different types of licenses and certifications available to the accounting professional.  Certain credentials, such as the PTIN, are required to do certain types of tax work.  Other credentials, such as the ERO and FINCen BSA E-Filing Account are required to e-file different types of tax returns.  Credentials such as the CTEC, EA, CPA, and a law license are required to legally perform certain types of work.  Yet, other credentials, show that the credential holder has a certain degree of knowledge, such as the CMA.  This list is not exhaustive, but it is a starting point.

Tax Professional Certifications, Credentials, Licenses, and Other (Federal Level):


Certified Public Accountant (CPA) License


State-Level Tax Preparer Licensing Bodies


Miscellaneous Accounting and Accounting-Related Certifications


Recommended Study Guides